How do I apply for a job at the Port?
All applications must be submitted via our recruitment portal (click here to visit). If you have applied for a vacancy with us in the past you will be able to log in using your existing log in details.
When you log in please work your way down the left hand side of the menu to fill in the appropriate details. Once this is complete you can search for the vacancy you want to apply for and click ‘Apply’. You will then be asked a few more questions and will have the chance to upload your CV before submitting when you are ready.
We do not accept applications via email or CV alone.
Are you having trouble creating an account?
One of the main issues people face is creating a password. Please ensure that it includes more than 8 characters with uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numerical and ‘special’ characters, otherwise it won’t allow you to continue.
What happens after you’ve submitted your application?
You can check the status of your application by logging into your account and clicking ‘View My Applications’ on the left-hand side.
When can you expect to hear from us?
Once the vacancy you have applied for has closed, we will begin our shortlisting process. Once complete, we will contact all applicants whether or not they have been successful or unsuccessful.
Will my details be saved if you want to apply for another job in the future?
Yes, all your personal data will be saved in your account. If you need to update any personal information you will be able to use the tabs on the left-hand side. If you’re good to go you can select ‘Apply’ on the new vacancy you wish to apply for and all you’ll need to complete are any job specific questions.
I haven't had an interview recently. Do you have any tips?
- Review the original job description/advert
- Think about the types of questions we are going to ask you, both about the job and about the application details you’ve given us
- Prepare in advance! Choose great examples that match the requirements of the position. You don’t want the interview to finish and think “I wish I had told them more about my experience.”
- Do your research, a lot of useful information can be found on our website.
- If using technology, ensure you have a good connection in advance and make a reasonable effort to avoid potential issues. Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed.
- Smile! This may sound odd advice but smiling will make you sound relaxed and confident.
About the Port
How many people work at the Port?
We have just under 200 employees.
What kind of roles are there?
Does the Port have a Welsh Language scheme?
We do not have a formal Welsh Language scheme but we would support an employee seeking to improve their Welsh language.
What training would be available at the Port?
Safety is our priority and that is reflected in the training available to employees. But it doesn't end there, there are plenty of formal and on the job training opportunities to build your skills. Visit Testimonials to see how some of our employees have developed with us.
What is the average length of service?
We are proud to have so many long standing employees (we hope it means we are doing something right!). Our average length of service is 9 years.
What are your values?
You can find out about our Core Values here.
What is it like working at the Port?
You can find out about Our Culture here.
What can you expect from us?
- A great Rewards package
- Investors in People accreditation - we are proud to have achieved Investors in People accreditation since 2004. Investors in People is a national standard that sets out criteria for high performance in organisations through its people and provides a framework to benchmark the effectiveness of leadership and management practices in an organisation.
- Career prospects – find out more about how this has worked for some of our employees
Scholarships & Work Experience
Does the Port operate a scholarship scheme?
Yes. It usually opens for applications in the autumn and we always promote through social media channels. You can also find out more here, or click here to see how previous Scholarship Students felt about the experience.
Do I need to be studying a marine subject to apply for a scholarship?
No, we don’t just look for students studying traditionally marine subjects. We are happy to receive applications from any subject field and you don’t need to be going to a Welsh University. The only requirement is that the student must have spent the majority of their pre-university education in Pembrokeshire.
Is work experience possible at the Port?
We do welcome applications for work experience on an ad hoc basis.