1. MARINERS ARE HEREBY REMINDED that; Milford Haven Port Authority (MHPA) is committed to complying with the Port Marine Safety Code. This Code requires, amongst other things, that MHPA exercises its statutory powers to regulate the conduct of vessels in the Haven. The Code recognises that enforcement action will sometimes be appropriate.
2. MHPA accepts that most Haven users want to comply with the law. Therefore, where it can, it will help users to meet their legal obligations without unnecessary expense, whilst taking firm action – including prosecution where appropriate – against those who flout the law or act irresponsibly.
3. Officers of the Authority will collect whatever evidence they feel is necessary if they consider that the law may be broken. This may include photographs, Radar images and video pictures. Please note that phone calls to Port Control and VHF conversations are recorded in case of need for investigation by the MAIB or required for undertaking a prosecution.
4. MHPA hereby gives the following Public Notice: “Within the jurisdiction of Milford Haven Port Authority photographs, Radar images and video pictures may be taken of any vessel and those on board and/or of any person that is suspected of breaking the law. These photographs and video pictures along with recordings of VHF and Phone conversations with Port Control may be used by Milford Haven Port Authority and other enforcement agencies as evidence in legal proceedings."
5. This Public Notice is given so that all users of the Haven have warning that photographs and video pictures may be taken of them and therefore MHPA will not conduct covert surveillance. Further, MHPA will not collect private information.
6. This Notice to Mariners is given in order to maintain, improve, protect and regulate the navigation and to manage risks associated with marine operations.
Port of Milford Haven
Tel: 01646 696100