Chair - Milford Haven Port Authority
£45,000 + expenses
Pembrokeshire, west Wales
Milford Haven Port is the largest port in Wales, and the 3rd largest in the UK. As a trust port, it is independent, commercially run and publicly accountable, particularly in relation to the exercise of statutory functions. The Port is one of Europe’s largest for oil and gas and fulfils a critical role in enabling the delivery of up to a third of the UK’s seaborne energy supplies. With a turnover of £25m, profit of £4.5m and employing c170 staff, it is also home to South Wales’ largest ferry service to Ireland, Wales’ largest fish docks and a waterfront property portfolio with exciting plans for regeneration and investment in tourism. The current Chair retires in July 2017 and the Board now seeks an experienced successor. This is a 3-year appointment (2-3 days per month) with the potential of renewal. The appointment will be made by the Secretary of State for Transport.
- Leading and directing the board to develop a strategy based on a high level of personal business acumen and experience.
- Playing a central role in the development and maintenance of strong and effective relationships with key stakeholders, including UK, Welsh and local governments.
- Ensuring the Port adheres to the highest standards of governance and controls, to successfully achieve business and stakeholder objectives whilst controlling risk.
- A strategic thinker with a proven track record of demonstrating business acumen and leadership within a substantial commercial organisation, at senior executive board level. Non-Exec or Chair experience as part of a commercial board.
- An ambassador for MHPA who will contribute through their supportive and collaborative approach towards the Port and the achievement of its objectives with a wide range of stakeholders.
To find out more or to download a candidate brief, containing application instructions, please go to http://www.odgers.com/60091 or contact us by email at
firstname.lastname@example.org. For enquiries please call Jemma Terry or Dr Marc Pollentine at the Odgers’ Wales office on 02920 783050. The closing date for applications is Tuesday 7th February 2017. Final Panel interviews will take place on Friday 19thMay 2017.